Monday, June 19, 2006

Pop Culture Update

The number 1 movie in the box office this weekend was Cars, an animated pic about...well...I haven't seen it but I'm guessing its about cars. While I have no interest in cars, I do have a huge interest in words. Friday afternoon, therefore, I took a friend who I know to be semi-obsessed with crossword puzzles to see Wordplay. It's a documentary about crossword puzzles, those that complete them and create them, specifically for the NY Times, about the life of Times crossword editor Will Shortz, and the annual Crossword tournament held each winter in the Stamford, CT Marriot. It featured famous crossword fanatics such as Jon Stewart, The Indigo Girls, Bill Clinton, Ken Burns and (not to be completely liberal) Bob Dole. The real stars, though, were those that compete in the annual tournament.

In the tradition of Spellbound, this was a thriller made for nerds everywhere. I even completed the NY Times puzzle this morning, although they say Monday is the easy one. I guess I will be trying my hand, and my pencil (I can not yet risk trying it in ink) at crosswords.

The only disappointment was that in the panel after the film (yes Will was there!), I raised my hand the whole time for a question. When the moderator said "just one more" and looked my way I was so excited. Unfortunatley, someone in front of me yelled out a question instead. You'd think a bunch of crossword enthusiasts would be more likely to follow the rules of Q & A. Oh well, it was pretty fun when my entire row turned as I whisper/yelled "Bitch!" as soon as she interrupted my chance.

I was going to ask the panel, as fans of crosswords, what do they think of Sudoku? I found some answers online here.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Sorry you didn't get called on. I'll answer now.

I can take or leave sudoku. It's been around a while and I'm amazed that it suddenly became so popular. I prefer crosswords because they have more content; sudoku is just a logic puzzle.