Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I Heart (Free) Cheese

Last night I went to the weekly free beer & cheese tasting at Bierkraft on 5th Avenue in Park Slope. Usually I walk by the store and cannot go in because, despite knowing it's full of delicious beer, cheese and chocolate, I cannot take the pungent cheese smell upon entering. However, knowing the tasting would be in the back, outdoor (ie-less pungent) area, I ventured in. I tried 5 delicious cheeses from spain. Well, one was kind of like feet. The other four were great though. I especially enjoyed the zamorano, a sheepsmilk cheese very similar to manchego.Also worth a try was the mahon, a cow's milk cheese that was very salty and had a suprisingly pleasing crunch. The beers were pretty good too. Tastings are Tuesdays at 7pm, but get there early. I almost didn't get in.

No comments: