Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Post-Easter Opera Tips

Have you ever been to the opera at the Met? I have, and it's lovely. The sets are elaborate, the hall is beautiful, the voices blow you away. The orchestra amazes. But sometimes there are noises that distract. Coughing, the occasional whistle of a hearing aid whose owner has fallen asleep, and the dreaded crinkle of candy wrappers can all be disturbing.

Luckily for me, when I went to Don Carlo last night, my mom thoughtfully brought a sweet treat that is perfect for the opera-PEEPS. You do have to open the cellophane in advance, but once that is done, you have a sweet treat that makes no noise when you eat it-especially if you eat the head first.

Unluckily, this did not prevent one noticeable noise. In the scene when Rodrigo is shot, I was so surprised that I actually yelled out. Sorry fellow opera queens. I wasn't expecting gunplay.

No comments: