Friday, June 09, 2006

Home Improvement Trends

One of the first jobs I ever had was in a hardware store, the now de-funct Rickels Home Center. It certainly wasn't the best job I've had, but it was interesting. I learned about washers and PVC piping and what's a good price for 2 by 4s. I met some interesting characters, especially the contractors who would always tell me I looked too young to work. I learned about how money is physically dirty,and by the end of the day my hands would be black-yuck!

Alas, I haven't kept up with trends in home improvement. For example, I was surpised to know that Lowe's Home Improvement is open in Brooklyn from 5am-Midnight. When I needed some propane for my bbq, I went to check it out. Unfortunately, I had tickets to a play (actually it wasn't that unfortunate-Bridge & Tunnel is awesome) so I had to go at around 11pm.

So who are the majority of customers in Lowe's at 11pm on a weeknight? Contractors-nope. Cops getting off the late shift-nope. The answer is....Orthodox Jews.

There were old men with beards, women with wigs and long skirts, little boys in yarmulkes with fringes on their pants. Who knew? Anyone have an idea why the Orthodox Jewish population is so supportive of Loews? Do they just like hardware?

No comments: