Wednesday, January 12, 2005

DC Deja Vu

Last night I went out to happy hour with my co-workers, where we had some lovely wine and cheese and olives. Then, since it was still early we got in on the end of happy hour at another bar where I somehow decided to switch to vodka sodas. This resulted in me being home and drunk at a relatively early hour, and then trying to eat dinner to make up for the alcohol. Went to bed early.

Now this in itself is not such as strange turn of events. But what was strange was that it really reminded me of living in DC. DC is such a happy hour town. There are pro-choice happy hours, environmental happy hours, even republican happy hours. Getting drunk for less than $20 is something that seemed appealing when I first moved there, and then became really tired, really fast. What are you to do when you are home and drunk at 8:30?

This all got me thinking how each city really does have it's own social landscape. I have really only lived in NYC and DC. What other cities have these kind of characteristics? Is Boston a Guiness and Eggs town? Are Boulder, CO and Burlington, VT as similar in their party habits as they are in their architechture and number of neo-hippies per square mile?

Anyway, I think I am really glad that my DC happy hour days are behind me. Next time-dinner, then drinks, then bed. A much better order of events.

No comments: