Wednesday, January 19, 2005

"It's Your Turn"

Yesterday, at around 9:00 am, I was treated to a viewing of a wonderful film called, "It's Your Turn." It was about Jury Duty. Yes, I was called for the 3rd time, and therefore could postpone no longer. So I arrived at 8:45 at the courthouse, and was lucky enough to watch a film showing that if not for jurors like me doing their civic duty, we might as well be back in the days of witch trials throwing people under water and seeing if they float and are guilty or sink and are innocent.

Is this really a useful message in getting people to do their duty? Witch trials? How ab0ut just telling us how we get selected, how long it will take, and maybe providing free coffee? That would get me into it.

By the way I totally rocked the Juror News Crossword puzzle by 9:15. Then I was called into an enpaneling room to be questioned for a jury until around 4:00 with a lunch break I spent staying in from the ridiculously horrifyingly freeze-your-ass-off cold.

In the end, I'm on a case that starts next week. I also met a nice fellow juror who is a professor at Baruch and lives in my neigbhorhood. We spent the whole train ride home talking about politics and the nubmer of stupid people we see everyday (even when not serving our civic duty to prevent witch trials). While I can't blog about the case, I'll keep you updated otherwise.

1 comment:

D said...

oh man-that sucks. which judge do you have? do you have the courtroom with the neon scales of justice.